Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The flavor of green

The other evening when Paul got home I had just finished making this:

Hooray for home-made, from-the-garden, free baby food. I guess it's organic too (we never bought ANY formula, baby food or baby cereals for William, which is probably why his hair is red. Really, it saved us a fortune and the veggies are exploding out of the ground in our yard). I was in the process of feeding the stuff from the bottom of the blender to Matthew. He had turned four months old that day and had worked very hard to help me make it, so I thought he could have a sample. I told Paul he was just in time and asked him to grab the camera and get some pictures. As he was clicking away at our cute little guy (and, regrettably, me as well) the conversation was a bit humorous.
Paul: What does it taste like?
Me: I dunno. Green.
Paul: Green, huh?
Me: Yeah, green. You know, some things just taste...green. There's not really any other way to describe them.
Paul: Okay.

He was probably thinking I was crazy and that there were certainly many ways to describe green flavors, but decided not to contradict the crazy lady. It tastes like "green?" She is crazy. Moving on.

Paul: Does he like it?
Me: Yeah. He didn't even pull a face, gag, or flinch on his first bite like babies usually do. He just gobbled it right up and keeps eating more. He's not even latching on to the spoon nor spitting it back out.

I have to admit I was amazed at his ability to eat this up since it was his first encounter with solid food and he was eating it like a pro. After they decide to even swallow at all, it usually takes babies weeks to learn to get a good bite down in one shot, but not little Matthew.

Me: By the way, I used up the rest of the beans, but they are probably ready to be picked again anyway.
Paul: Those are beans?
Me: Yeah. We had those beans left in the bucket from the other day....Why?
Paul: I just thought it was zucchini.
Me: Nope. Beans. I guess zucchini would taste green, too. Hmm.

This is when I would have agreed with him had he decided to say out loud that I was crazy. Good thing he is such a wonderful person who wouldn't say that out loud and is also relatively tolerant of crazy. I have since been thinking about food, colors, and what they both taste like.
I decided to ask my family members to name the first food they thought of when I said these colors. Yes, this is a psychoanalysis and I am sure it has a very profound meaning.

My color flavors:
Green: Beans (closely followed by spinach, cucumbers, zucchini, and broccoli)
Blue: um...Blueberries?!?
Brown: CHOCOLATE!!
Red: Raspberries...and strawberries
White: Milk
Yellow: Lemon
Black: Um...all I can think of is chocolate and it is brown. Um...does dark chocolate count? Um......Olives?
Orange: Orange
Purple: Eggplant

Paul's color flavors:
Green: Beans
Blue: Blueberries
Brown: Chocolate
Red: Strawberries
White: Eggs
Yellow: Mushrooms, wait that's not yellow. Corn.
Black: Black licorice
Orange: Orange
Purple: Eggplant

Savannah's color flavors (said with some thoughtfulness and an obvious attempt to get the answers correct):
Green: Zucchini
Blue: There really isn't any blue ones
Brown: Meatballs
Red: Spaghetti
White: Those white broccoli stuff
Yellow: Squash
Black: Rotten bananas
Orange: Orange
Purple: Plums

Sid's color flavors (yelling excitedly up the stairs):
Green: Celery
Blue: Blueberries
Brown: Brown-er, no...bread
Red: Strawberries
White: Uh...salt?
Yellow: Banana
Black: Uh, how about black is blackberries
Orange: Orange
Purple: Uh, grapes.

Austin's color flavors (these are all stated with a "whatever-mom" voice along with a why-in-the-world-do-you-care-you-are-so-weird expression):
Green: I don't like a food like that. I just eat boogers.
Blue: The wheels are just blue on this train.
Brown: How about a cookie?
Red: I don't know the food that's red. Red's not really good.
White: Milk!!
Yellow: Uh, it's uh, really sour.
Black: How about chocolate cake? Chocolate cake is black.
Orange: Nothing for Orange.
Purple: What's a purple food like that?

William's color flavors (these are all yelled out with a huge grin and a very enthusiastic voice):
Green: Greeee!
Blue: Boo!
Brown: Bow!
Red: Reh!
White: Wite!!
Yellow: Yew-yo!
Black: Clack!
Orange: Orsh!
Purple: Pe-ple!

Matthew's color flavors:
Green: Beans (pureed)
Everything else: Milk!

I like that the only real answers I could get from Austin are cookies, chocolate cake, and milk. I also like that Paul said "mushrooms" were yellow and then laughed at himself before thinking of corn. I think the manner of the responses actually provides the best psychoanalysis, so I had to add in that detail.

As for my questioning and responding to myself...at least I didn't do it out loud (that I know of). I think I am going to go enjoy some brown, red, and white!!

No comments: