Tuesday, December 7, 2010:
The battle begins at 1:45 am when William flips on the bedroom light and wakes up his baby brother. This results in a sad baby who won't go back to sleep because William is angry (and very vocal) about Mom turning off the light again. Mom helps the baby, Dad gets William in bed and sits with him to keep him there (and away from the light switch).
8:55 am: Mom is happy to have gotten some sleep. Upon entering the previous battle zone, Mom finds William jumping on his bed in a diaper that has been through an adventuresome night and is barely staying on. Since it IS staying on for now, Mom decides to feed the baby. William sprints out of the room and, while Mom questions whether that diaper really will stay on or not, yells "bye-bye, Mommy! Love you!" blows a few kisses and closes and locks the door. Mom is glad he is so adorable and has professed his love for her and she is smiling at the cute and sweet kisses, all while she is locked in the bedroom with her baby.
Mom escapes from the dungeon with a wire hanger that is hanging in the closet for that very purpose. Mom attempts to corner William to get him dressed and he climbs behind the kids' computer in an effort to avoid being trapped. The speakers fall on his foot and cause some pain, but not enough to be worth running into Mom's clothing-clad clutches. He climbs over the desk and jumps down, angry that Mom is touching his blanket, which allows Mom to capture him and wrestle him into his clothes.
Mom dresses the baby listening to the water in the bathroom blast down the sink. Wondering if the sink is plugged or not, Mom is relieved that the water is going down the drain, but asks William to turn it off and shows him how to do so. After three attempts (and giving him the opportunity to do it himself), Mom opens up the cabinet beneath the sink and shuts the water down. William does not like that the faucet no longer works, but thankfully doesn't know how to remedy that, so Mom walks downstairs to help big brother with breakfast.
Upon arrival downstairs Mom discovers what happened while she was feeding the baby. The fridge is wide open and eggs are cracked and spilled all over the kitchen floor. Not only is this a huge mess, but is pretty disgusting and difficult to clean up. Mom gets the dripping egg carton closed and the fridge shut in time for William to come downstairs and want it open again. He runs through the egg mess and tries to shove Mom out of the way in an attempt to open the fridge. Mom cleans off his kicking feet and gets smacked in the head in the process and tells herself she's thankful that the foot had already been cleaned off and that she is glad William did not slip and fall in the egg mess. There are now five eggs left and Mom needs six for some baking she volunteered to do tomorrow. Awesome.
Mom starts breakfast while thanking big brother for waiting patiently. Baby brother pulls a plant over on his head and while Mom is cleaning that up, William makes an exit into the garage to go play in the car. Mom races to the keys and clicks the remote to lock the car, while a little boy yells, "HEY!" from the garage. One point for Mom for beating him to it. William comes back in the house upset about the car being locked while Mom continues with the plant mess and William pours his own cereal (pretty well) and milk (not so well). The plant mess is mostly cleaned up and now Mom moves on to the milk that has overflowed all over the table.
William decides to leave his breakfast dripping over the edges and getting soggy. He moves on to dump out a whole bunch of DVDs and VHS videos all over the floor while Mom is cleaning up the milk. He scales the shelves of the entertainment center to insert a DVD while baby brother comes over to begin eating the movies scattered across the floor. Mom cleans up the movies and flips the TV to a non-working channel then goes to eat her own breakfast. William is upset that the TV is not working and starts yanking Mom's arms while she is trying to eat. Mom does not tolerate that one very well, so she does her best to keep eating (splashing food on her face a few times) until William gives up.
William claims possession of the plant stand and climbs through the metal bars in time to lose his balance, fall over, and get smacked in the face by the legs of the stand as it flips upside down. Although he is apparently okay with getting smacked in the face with a metal bar, Mom does not want this to continue and removes the plant stand from his clutches and hides it in the laundry room. He wanders around for a bit and then finds it, pulling down piles of clean underwear as he brings out the plant stand. Mom takes it away and locks it in the bathroom for lack of a better quick place to hide it. William hits Mom and is sent to his bed.
It is 9:40. It is only 9:40?!? That was only 45 minutes? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? I am going to go take a long, hot shower.
My brain fills with analogies for my constant battle with William as I shower. I decide that my life makes me feel like a spectator of a large-mammal water show. I sit on the front row anticipating an amazing show to find that I am constantly being soaked while struggling to watch and enjoy. After many repeated soakings, I am sputtering and coughing and wondering when the show or at least the drenching will end. I feel as though I can not participate in the show or I WILL drown, but am unable to even see through the floods of water being spewed in my direction. Maybe the shower water pushed my brain in the direction of really wet analogies, but I DO get my best thinking time in the shower.
This is a pretty typical morning in our household although the means of crazy messiness differ from day to day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






2 comments:
Wow. Amazing how one so young can cause so much trouble. I had to go and look back so I could remember if William was older or younger than Eli, but he is younger. Just by a few months (Eli was born in March). Eli doesn't usually get into that much trouble (not in one day anyway), and he listens pretty well, most of the time. Although this morning wasn't particularly fun.
We were in Brianna's room and Eli said, "Come in my room mommy!" I was working on something on the laptop and didn't particularly care which room I was in, but as soon as we got in his room it was "No let's play in Brianna's room!" I humored him once again, but after that I parked myself down and when he requested to go back to his room I wouldn't. So, a tantrum followed. But not too long after that he sat in my lap in the rocking chair and told me that he didn't feel very good, so maybe that was more the cause of the bad behavior and the tantrum (plus grammy and grampy just left and they always spoil him a bit much, causing bad behavior for a few days after they leave).
I guess I should also say that William is the first of my kids to cause this kind of trouble. I was very happy that those other three may have had energy, but they didn't get into things nor were they destructive. I guess it had to happen sometime and he really hit it full force right when he turned two (and we had a new baby...it may be a result of both combined).
Post a Comment